.

2.5.11

What Everyone is Talking About



Last night Kerry and I came home from a small getaway to see the news plastered with celebration. When I heard what "we" were celebrating, my stomach dropped. My heart and mind have been heavy over the matter all day. I am saddened by "our" reaction.



I do not know much about politics, and I am horrible at debate, and I have now re-written this post a number of times. The bulk of today's post has now been deleted because the following quotations (which I'm sure you have already read at some point on the net today) says more of what I am feeling than anything I have come up with...(even if it is a fake MLK quote.)



I mourn the loss of thousands of precious lives, but I will not rejoice in the death of one, not even an enemy.


Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that




Celebrate in life, and in hope and in LOVE.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you, Sharon. It's disturbing hearing, seeing, reading, all of the celebratory reactions. Reading how childish people have become over who should be receiving recognition and taking credit over the death of a person. Listening to people say, 'the world is a safer place now'...yes, because the eradication of one person means there are no more rapists, kidnappers, murderers, drunk drivers, pedophiles, in existence. It's barbaric and ugly at least.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know what I think is amazing??! This very same quote (as it is one of my MLK favs) has been running thru my head ever since I heard the news, too ... DUUUDE!! how weird is that?! I do believe that violence begets violence and that his death really changes so little in this broken world. Any sort of healing that needs to be done around the events of 9/11 could never be dependent on vengeance for it to be TRUE healing. Thank you for your courage in expressing an opinion that isn't very popular right now. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts? Questions? Comments?